Standford University students are gettin’ schooled in mobile app development.
The prestigious university is launching a new online class to help students learn to develop applications for Apple’s iOS 5.
Best of all, the course is free. The lectures for learning the basics for coding in iOS 5 can be downloaded at no charge from iTunes U.
The downloadable lectures are described by iTunes U as follows:
- Tools and APIs required to build applications for the iPhone platform using the iPhone SDK.
- User interface designs for mobile devices and unique user interactions using multitouch technologies.
- Object-oriented design using model-view-controller pattern, memory management, Objective-C programming language.
- iPhone APIs and tools including Xcode, Interface Builder and Instruments on Mac OS X.
- Other topics include: core animation, bonjour networking, mobile device power management and performance considerations.
It’s no wonder that Stanford University has expressed a great deal of enthusiasm for iOS 5 and the mobile app community as a whole. After all, late Apple CEO Steve Jobs was a big fan of Stanford and delivered a stirring and memorable commencement address to graduates there back in 2005.