Sprint Sees Big Influx of New iPhone Buyers, Subscribers

Following recent earnings reports by Verizon and AT&T, Sprint – the nation’s third largest mobile operator – announced third quarter earnings today.

All told, Sprint reported wireless service revenues of nearly $7.3 billion during the quarter, an increase of nearly 6 percent year-over-year.

Wireless service revenues for the Sprint platform grew 14 percent year-over-year.

Perhaps most interestingly, Sprint says that that it sold a total of 1.5 million iPhones in the third quarter and that 40% of these iPhone sales were to new customers. The remaining 60% represents Sprint’s returning customers.

Sprint also surpassed 1 million LTE smartphones sold prior to the launch of iPhone 5.

“The Sprint platform performed well, with strong net subscriber additions, record third quarter postpaid and prepaid churn and robust revenue growth, contributing to Adjusted OIBDA of $1.28 billion even as we continue to invest in Network Vision and position the company for future growth,” said Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO. “As a result, we believe we will slightly exceed the top of the range of our recently increased Adjusted OIBDA forecast.”

To review the Q3 earnings report in full, click here.