Sony is rolling out the red carpet to introduce the company’s forthcoming next-generation Android-powered Smartwatch 2.
As rumors mount that Apple will soon launch an iOS-powered smartwatch to compete in this rapidly emerging new product category of wearable computing devices, Sony isn’t taking its time to see what Apple and others might do.
Sony SmartWatch 2 is a second screen for your Android smartphone that, as well as enhancing existing phone functionality, offers unique new benefits.
Sony says the new device serves as a multi-functional watch, notifier, Android app interface and phone remote control. “App expandability is key to Sony SmartWatch 2,” the company says. “It can be personalized with more dedicated apps than any other smartwatch to seamlessly suit your needs, whether you are on the go, keeping active, in business meetings or simply at home.”
So what can you do with the new Sony Smartwatch?
- Handle your calls by a simple touch of your wrist
- Take a photo remotely from your SmartWatch, using a smart camera app
- Control your presentations remotely using Presentation Pal
- Taking a run or on the bike? Select a mapping app on SmartWatch to check your route with a quick glance at your wrist
- Read previously downloaded e-mails when not connected to your phone
- Use lifestyle apps like Runtastic to map and instantly track your fitness activities on the go
- Quickly and easily adjust the tracks and volume on your music player, without ever taking your phone from your pocket
“Sony is the proud leader in the smartwatch market since introducing our first Bluetooth watch in 2007,” says Stefan K Persson, Head of Companion Products at Sony Mobile Communications. “Competitors are only now launching first generation devices, while we are already launching a 3rd generation device with all the insight gained from over half a million customers combined with Sony’s wealth of technology expertise to create the best ever smartwatch experience.”
Pricing for the new smartwatch hasn’t been revealed yet but the formal product launch will occur in September of this year.