Millennial Media Shows iPhone, iPad Now Major Players in Mobile Ad Impressions

According to the latest data released from independent mobile advertising and data company Millennial Media, the iPhone and its tablet sibling, the iPad, have earned some fairly lofty placements across a broad variety of mobile advertising statistics.

The Mobile Mix Q3 Report reveals that iOS impressions grew 60% year-over-year, from Q3 2010-Q3 2011. In particular, iPad impressions grew 456%, and iPod Touch impressions grew 30% year-over-year.

Not to be outdone, the iPhone accounted for 54% of the iOS impressions on Millennial Media’s platform, while iPod Touch and iPad combined to make up the other 46%.

Android, however, was still the leading OS on Millennial Media’s network in Q3 with 56% of the smartphone/connected device impressions. Android made up 15 of the top 20 phones on Millennial Media’s network. HTC had 6 of those phones, and grew over 100% year-over-year as a manufacturer.

When breaking down ad spend on applications, Android apps had a 49% share. This was a 20% growth quarter-over-quarter.

Apple represented 41% of the Application Platform Mix, ranked by ad spend, in Q3. Music & Entertainment took over as the leading Apple application category, despite gaming still leading the iPad application category. In Q3, Apple Mocial (Mobile Social Networking) applications grew 36% quarter-over-quarter.

In Q3, Millennial Media reports, smartphones grew 7% quarter-over-quarter and 37% year-over-year, leading the Smartphone, Feature Phone & Connected Device Impression Share mix, with 72% of the impressions during the quarter.

To learn more about the findings of the latest Mobile Mix report, click here.