Facebook executives have officially “liked” Shazam, the mobile discovery company that continues to surge in popularity.
On Wednesday, Shazam released what’s being called a “major update” to its Shazam App for iPhone, iPod touch and Android, which brings with it an exciting new feature called “Shazam Friends.”
Here’s where Facebook comes in.
“Shazam Friends,” the company says, “is an innovative way for Shazamers to discover and share new music with their friends on Facebook.”
The new feature serves up a real-time feed of songs that friends have tagged, creating a continuously updating list giving every Shazamer a new and powerful dimension for music discovery.
“Shazam Friends is a major step forward in social music sharing,” says Andrew Fisher, Shazam Chief Executive Officer. “We all have friends or family with great taste in music and have discovered an artist or song because of them. Our new feature not only allows Shazamers to see what their friends on Facebook are tagging, but they can also listen to the track and go on to purchase it.”
Once you’ve updated the App, a new “Friends” tab will appear. After a Shazamer confirms he or she would like to connect and share with friends, they can:
- Browse all of their friends’ tags, listen to previews, watch music videos, read reviews, access biographies and get artist tour information
- See all recent tags from a particular friend in one list
- Add friends’ tags to their Shazam history and playlist
- Purchase the track
- Where available use streaming services to play the song from their playlist
- Post tags to Facebook and Twitter, add comments, and give their friends a chance to listen and comment
- Encourage friends to join them in using Shazam Friends
“Shazam Friends is an exciting new feature for our community of Shazamers, that will make it easier than ever before to learn about new music and share those moments,” Fisher says.