Where’s Facebook making the major share of its moolah?
Look no further than mobile. Mobile ad spending on Facebook has passed desktop and now represents the lion’s share of ads on the social network.
That mobile growth won’t abate anytime soon.
“According to data from Nanigans, advertisers continued to shift their dollars from PCs to mobile devices last quarter,” notes eMarketer. “In Q3 2014, mobile accounted for 62.0 percent of Facebook ads served on the source’s platform worldwide, compared with 38.0 percent for desktop.”
eMarketer’s estimates jive with Nanigans’ findings.
“We expect 66.2 percent of Facebook’s $11.24 billion ad revenues worldwide to come from paid advertising on mobile, while desktop will grab the remaining 33.8 percent,” said eMarketer. “This gap will expand throughout our forecast period. By 2016, revenues from advertising on Facebook will hit $17.43 billion, with ads served to mobile devices accounting for 75.0 percent of that total.”
Desktop is dead compared to mobile. A June, 2014 research report by RBC and Advertising Age indicated that 37 percent of U.S. marketers said Facebook mobile ad ROI was somewhat or much greater than desktop, up slightly from 35 percent in September 2013.
It comes as no surprise.
The latest estimates indicate that of the average 21 minutes US adults spend on Facebook daily in 2014, mobile will account for a whopping 61.5 percent of the total, compared with the share enjoyed by desktop and laptop at 38.5 percent.