Apple’s Mac App Store Sees 1 Million Downloads on Day One

The biggest no-brainer news of the day was confirmed by Apple on Friday.

It turns out that Thursday’s release of the new Mac App Store was a great success. And the Cupertino, California-based tech giant is providing some concrete data to confirm what most had already assumed to be true.

Remarkably, the Mac App Store logged over one million app downloads in the first 24 hours of launch – not a bad stat, particularly given that only 1,000 applications are currently available through the freshly unveiled digital download destination.

“We’re amazed at the incredible response the Mac App Store is getting,” Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. “Developers have done a great job bringing apps to the store and users are loving how easy and fun the Mac App Store is.”

The news is also a welcome reality to the new breed of Mac app developers.

Analogous to Apple’s deal with iPhone, iPod, and iPad app developers, those who create apps for Mac’s new app store have the ability to set the price of their creations. Developers also keep 70% of the sales revenue. Apple, of course, retains the remaining 30% and absorbs other ancillary fees pertaining to the app’s hosting and availability.

The Mac App Store, which offers apps in Education, Games, Graphics & Design, Lifestyle, Productivity, Utilities and other categories, is available now for Snow Leopard users through Software Update as part of Mac OS X v10.6.6.