3G Carries Bulk of Android Mobile Video Traffic

Mobile video ad network Rhythm NewMedia indicates in a new report that 3G networks are responsible for carrying a whopping 72% of all video content watched on Android smartphones in the United States. When it comes to video consumption over 3G, Android takes the cake hands down. iPhone users, in fact, only tap 3G for …   Read More

1605 3
1605 3

Mobile video ad network Rhythm NewMedia indicates in a new report that 3G networks are responsible for carrying a whopping 72% of all video content watched on Android smartphones in the United States.

When it comes to video consumption over 3G, Android takes the cake hands down. iPhone users, in fact, only tap 3G for 56% of their mobile video consumption.

Overall, the report notes, 3G accounts for 53% of mobile video traffic. The remaining 47% is attributed to WiFi.

With regarded to concentrated use, however, Rhythm NewMedia indicates that mobile video viewing habits are evenly distributed throughout a 24-hour period. This represents a stark contrast to the viewing patterns of mobile TV fans, who tend to concentrate their use of mobile TV in the evening.

Interestingly enough, despite criticisms of the “short attention span” of many mobile phone users, of all the viewers who access full-length chunks of video and episodic content, an impressive 26.5 percent of viewers watch the content in its entirely from their mobile device.

Viewing time for full episodes increased 20% quarter over quarter. After starting to view a full length episode (typically 45 minutes), 26.5% watched the entire episode and 41% watched at least half of the episode.

Completion rates for interactive pre-roll video ads remains high at 88%, Rhythm NewMedia also discovered, which is better than both online video and television.

In this article

3 comments

  1. cuetlachtli

    and with 4G?..

  2. kuetlaxtli

    And with 4G?

  3. 3G Carries Bulk of Android Mobile Video Traffic | Mobile Marketing … | Mobile Marketing News

    […] post: 3G Carries Bulk of Android Mobile Video Traffic | Mobile Marketing … Share It: Hide Sites $$('div.d47').each( function(e) { […]

Comments are closed.